Thursday, April 9, 2009

SOMATIC CELL HYBRIDIZATION


It has been known since the 60's that somatic
cells from the same or different species in culture could spontaneously fuse to form polyploid cells. The product of fusion was called Homokaryon if the two parental cells come from the same species, and Heterokaryon or Somatic Cell Hybrid if the fusion was site-specific.

Production of heterokaryon
The hybrid cells could divide by mitosis and proliferate and thus could be maintained in culture. Cell fusion is followed by nuclear fusion to produce uninucleate hybrid cells or Synkaryons. The rate of cell fusion is very low; about one cell fuses in million of cells.

Homotypic synkaryon and heterotypic synkaryon
In 1962 Okada discovered that inactivated Sandai virus could greatly increase the rate of cell fusions. Since then several agents causing cell fusion has been tried among which Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) has some advantages. The exact mechanism of cell fusion is not known. In case of UV-inactivated Sandai virus, it seems that the virus absorbs to the cell surface leading to agglutination of cells. The protein coat of virus forms the connecting bridge between the cells. The membrane of two cells swells into this region and when they come in contact they get dissolved. The cell contents mix up, the nuclei fuse and a Heterokaryon is formed. When cell fusion is mediated by Polyethylene Glycol the two cell membranes directly come in contact.

Basic Hybridoma Technology



The term Hybridoma is applied to fused cells resulting due to fusion of following two types of cells: An antibody producing lymphocyte cell e.g. spleen cells of mouse. Myeloma (cancer) cells which are capable of multiplying indefinitely. These fused hybrid cells or hybridoma have the antibody producing capability inherited from lymphocytes and have the ability to grow continuously like cancer cells. Following steps are involved in the production of monoclonal antibodies (specific antibody for specific antigen).

A mouse is immunized to a specific antigen for the production of specific antibody. Tumor is produced in a mouse (it is done by injecting tumor causing antigens). From the above two types of animals, spleen cells (that produces antibodies) and Myeloma cells (that produces tumor) are isolated and cultured separately.

The Myeloma cell that is cultured is unusual in two ways, first it has stopped synthesizing antibodies and its mutant called HGPRT­- that cannot synthesize the enzyme Hypoxanthine Guanine Phosphoribosyl transferase. Now the fusion of the spleen cells to Myeloma cells is induced by using Polyethylene Glycol to produce hybridoma. The hybrid cells are grown in selective Hypoxanthine aminopterin thymidine medium (HAT).

HAT selection
HAT contains a drug Aminopterin which blocks one pathway for nucleotide synthesis making the cells to depend upon other pathway that needs HGPRT enzyme, which is absent in Myeloma cells. Therefore, Myeloma cells which do not fuse with the B cells will die, since they are HGPRT-. B cells which do not fuse with the Myeloma cells will die, because they lack tumorgenic property of immortal growth. Therefore HAT medium allows selection of Hybridoma cells which inherit HGPRT gene from B cells and tumorgenic property from Myeloma cells.

Somatic cell hybridization

Now the selection of hybridoma cells is done for cloning and antibody productions. This is facilitated by preparing single cell colonies that produces antibodies. Such antibodies are called Monoclonal antibodies. The hybridoma cells are kept stored at low temperature for future use in the production of monoclonal antibodies.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what makes inside the cell not to fuse with eachother ... how can cell fuse with other cell as in case of sperm fusing the ovum...wht makes the sperm cell to fuse ovum...can u plz forward some info regarding my queries

    my email id is drravishgowda@gmail.com, drravishgowda@yahoomail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi it is a good idea
    you are providing basic knowledge
    wish u all the best
    vpnchandran2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your style of presentation is very impressive. The meaningful contribution of your mind reflects on those people who are looking for biology today And tommorow. I would like to tweet on it and keep spying at every moment you blogging.

    DNA topoisomerase I-related function

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this topic you didnt told anything about the role of TK+ gene in HAT medium selection. If a cell is TK+, that cell can survive in HAT media. so that normal cell with TK+ also will survive in HAT medium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Dr. Itua, Traditional Herbal Practitioner in Africa, Have cured for HIV which is extracted from some rare herbals. It is highly potential to cure AIDS 100% without any residue. Dr Itua herbal medicine has already passed various blogs on how he use his powerful herbals to heal all kind of diseases such as. Herpes, HIV,,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer, Diabetes, Hepatitis,Hpv,Weak ErectionLyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,

    Dementia.,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Epilepsy, also his herbal boost immune system as well. I'm telling this because he uses his herbal medicine to cure me from hepatitis B and HIV, which i have being living for 9 months now with no side effect. The Herbal Medicine is just as good when drinking it although i have to use rest room after drinking it which I do not really care about because i just want to get the virus out of my body, I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone sick out here to contact Dr Itua with this following information.

    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com /
    Whatsapp Or Call...+2348149277967.
    He might be late to respond because he always busy with patent, but he will surely get back to you with positive response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete